Welcome to the Book of Ideas
Using the Book of Ideas in Your Classroom
Starting the Class Discussion on Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Listen to Oli talk about invention and the Book of Ideas and ask your students for their thoughts on innovation and entrepreneurship.
Other videos to inspire discussion on innovation and collaboration
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uh1KxcpWz0&feature=youtu.be Watch this video on ideas then discuss as a class students’ thoughts on important takeaways. (Note: There may be a short ad before the video.)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY30wUZUfFA Sadie, a young inventor with Cerebral Palsy, describes her award-winning invention the Walker Wheeler.
- https://safeyoutube.net/w/SxVb (~2 min) Great introductory video for younger students.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6EgoiPxNDs (~ 15 min) This video about Ideo and their shopping cart design project emphasizes both collaboration and communication. (May be more appropriate for older students)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd_nkBHgX8s (~ 7 min, short ad to start) JP, an engineering student from Brazil, talks about the importance of working with a team to solve problems.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga1_a4qw-As The video is a bit fast paced so be prepared to stop and discuss if you are working with younger or ELL students. (Note: There may be a short ad before the video.)
Other questions to help foster discussion
- What is something that you don’t like doing? How could you change that?
- Can you design an invention in your Book of Ideas?
Above and beyond
Getting questions from your students on next steps? Here are some suggestions to help them grow their inventions:
- Build a prototype
- Find and talk to some experts
- Research what other kid entrepreneurs have done next
- Do some research to see if anyone else has invented their idea before
- Look for location invention competitions
- Reach out to your friendly neighborhood CreositySpace contact